Gaza death toll hits 172, Israeli cabinet calls for escalation

14 July 2014 Monday

A Palestinian man died in the early hours of Monday of wounds he had sustained in an Israeli airstrike on Sunday.

“The man had sustained injuries during an Israeli strike on his house in eastern Gaza City,” Health Ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qodra told Anadolu Agency.

He added that 30 other Palestinians were wounded in separate Israeli airstrikes on the coastal enclave late Sunday.

The latest fatality brings to 172 the total number of Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrikes since late Monday.

Some 1260 Palestinians have also been wounded in the Israeli aerial attacks.

Some 560 Palestinian houses have been flattened in Israeli airstrikes since Monday, according to Palestinian authorities.

“The Israeli military operation has completely destroyed 560 houses in the Gaza Strip and left 12,800 others partially damaged,” Palestinian Minister of Housing and Public Works Mufeed Al-Hassayna told Anadolu Agency on Monday.

Israel has launched a military operation – dubbed Operation Protective Edge – with the stated goal of ending rocket fire from the Gaza Strip.

Since then, Israeli warplanes have staged hundreds of airstrikes on the besieged enclave – home to around 1.8 million Palestinians – while ground troops remain amassed on the borders in advance of a possible ground assault.

Gaza-based resistance factions, for their part, have continued to fire hundreds of rockets into Israel, some of which have reached Tel Aviv, in response to the ongoing offensive.

Around 208 Israelis were injured in rocket attacks from Gaza, according to Israel’s national emergency response service.

No Israeli fatalities have been reported thus far.

Israel cabinet goes for escalation in Gaza

A minor Israeli cabinet decided during a one-hour meeting late on Sunday to maintain military escalation against the Gaza Strip, an Israeli source said.

The source told Israel’s channel I that the cabinet had decided to step up the military campaign in Gaza in order to destroy the infrastructure of the Gaza-based resistance movement Hamas.

Referring to Egyptian efforts to bring about a ceasefire in Gaza, the source said Egypt would be the only country allowed by Israel to mediate this ceasefire.

A senior leader of Hamas, meanwhile, referred earlier to Qatari mediation, saying Qatar had delivered a message to Hamas from the U.S. about the movement’s terms for agreeing to a ceasefire.

The leader added that his movement had not received any “serious” proposals in this regard, noting that the movement is only getting ready to counter a potential Israeli ground operation in Gaza.

Source: World Bulletin.

Link: http://www.worldbulletin.net/palestine/140637/gaza-death-toll-hits-172-israeli-cabinet-calls-for-escalation.

Advertisements
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: